Roles and Responsibilities
· An investment analyst is a financial professional with expertise in evaluating financial and
investment information, typically for the purpose of making buy, sell and hold
recommendations for securities.
· Buy-side analysts work for fund managers at mutual fund brokers and financial advisory firms
and identify investment opportunities for their firm.
· Work Through spreadsheets and other forms of software, stock analysts examine the
securities of companies in various industries.
· Look at the financial results, market prices, and industry factors which might affect the price
of a company’s stock.
· Then use this data to try to predict the future earnings of the company and advise clients if it
is wise to buy or sell stocks in that business.
· A bachelor’s degree in finance or business. Degrees in accounting, statistics and economics
may also be accepted. MBAs and higher degrees in math or financial disciplines prefer.
· Analytical thinking –… equity analysts should have extensive experience assessing financial data and
using it to make informed decisions about stock and bond performance
· Market knowledge – thorough knowledge of a particular market is also an asset for equity analysts,
since this allows the analyst to consider their data in terms of the market or sector as a whole
· Data modeling – equity analysts should be skilled with a variety of data-modeling techniques and
should be able to prepare reports and presentations that present useful and actionable data
· Trend spotting – this role also requires the ability to notice, track, and analyze market trends and
opportunities and determine how to strategically invest to capitalize on growing or untapped sectors
· Communication skills – equity analysts should be strong communicators, able to succinctly present
data and information to brokers, investors, and advisors in both verbal and written formats .
· Must have worked on tools like financial services platforms (Bloomberg, Capital IQ), financial modeling
software (Quantrix, Maplesoft