We help people around the world save money and live better — anytime and anywhere — in
retail stores, online and through their mobile devices. Each week, more than 220 million
customers and members visit our 11,096 stores under 69 banners in 27 countries and ecommerce
websites in 10 countries. With 2017 fiscal revenues of approximately $486 billion,
Walmart employs 2.3 million employees worldwide. At Walmart Labs in Bangalore, we use
technology for the charter of building brand new platforms and services on the latest
technology stack to support both our e-commerce and stores businesses worldwide.
Data Science Foundation is first of a kind initiative within Walmart which provides
fundamental data science solutions through algorithmic APIs that can be leveraged at
Walmart scale. Our vision is to democratize data science solutions through reusable
services, for everyone within Walmart.
DSF is planning to achieve this by
• Providing one… place for all fundamental data-science algorithms.
• Empowering users to develop best-in-class solutions in a faster and a more efficient
way through robust re-usable APIs
Foundational work within DSF would comprise of defining a problem in an abstract manner
and then designing the solution to be domain agnostic.
As a Data Scientist for Walmart Labs, you’ll have the opportunity to
• work in a multidisciplinary team of data scientists and data engineers to build
systems that drive efficiencies by using state-of-the art algorithms at scale to
solve complex business problems across domains.
Some of the example use cases can be: Text Analytics, Image Processing, Time
Series Analysis etc.
• Play a key role to solve complex problems, pivotal to Walmart’s business and drive
actionable insights from petabytes of data.
• Analyze large, complex data sets by developing advanced statistical and machine
learning models based on business initiatives
• Utilize big data analytics and advanced data mining techniques to direct the
gathering of data, assess data validity and synthesize data into large analytics
datasets to support project goals
• Build and train scalable models using best practices, enabling re-use for future
• Utilize product mindset to build, scale and deploy holistic analytical products after
• Lead small teams and participate in large data analytics project teams by serving as
the technical lead for project
• Partner with senior team members to assess customer needs and define business
• Clearly articulate and present recommendations to business partners, and influence
future plans based on insights.
• Partner and engage with associates in other regions for delivering best services to the
customers around the globe.
• Mentor peers and analysts across the division in analytical best practices.
• Promote and support company policies, procedures, mission, values, and standards
of ethics and integrity
• Bachelor’s with years of relevant experience OR Masters with years of relevant
experience OR PHD in Statistics/Mathematics with minimum of 5 years’ experience
• Experience in analyzing complex problems and translate it into analytical approach
• Experience in Statistical Learning: – Predictive & Prescriptive Analytics, Web
Analytics, Parametric and Non-parametric models, Regression, Time Series,
Dynamic/Causal Model, Statistical Learning, Guided Decisions, Topic Modeling
• Experience in Machine Learning, supervised and unsupervised: – Forecasting,
Classification, Data/Text Mining, NLP, Decision Trees, Adaptive Decision Algorithms,
Random Forest, Search Algorithms, Neural Networks, Deep Learning Algorithms
• Lead role mentoring junior statistical analysts on approach and results.
• Experience with big data analytics and advanced data mining techniques to analyze
• Experience with identifying trends, patterns, and outliers in data
• Experience with statistical programming languages, analytical packages/libraries (R,
• Experience with statistical tools (R studio, Revolution R, Python notebooks)
• Experience with SQL and relational databases, data warehouse platforms
(Teradata), NoSQL databases
• Experience with big data platforms – Hadoop(Hive, Pig, Map Reduce,
Additional Preferred Qualifications
• Domain Knowledge of one or more divisions in Retail
• Published papers or given talks in leading academic and research journals
• Published papers or given talks in Data Science Forums
• Hold data science related patents
• Experience with data warehouse platforms – No SQL Databases (Cassandra)
• Experience with GPU/CUDA for computational efficiency
• Our Ideal Candidate
You are a technical, strong and high performing individual with excellent communication
skills, proven analytical skill set and strong customer focus. You stay updated with latest
research and technology ideas, and have a passion to utilize innovative ways to solve
problems. You are a good story-teller and able to simply articulate the intricacies of your
models as well as explain your results clearly to stakeholders. You have industry knowledge
of the retail space, with keen interest in keeping up to date on the latest happenings in this
Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
Senior Data Scientist