Data Scientist – Climate
ESG solutions enable investors to develop and integrate responsible investing policies and practices, engage on responsible investment issues, and monitor portfolio company practices through screening solutions. It also provides climate data, analytics, and advisory services to help financial market participants understand, measure, and act on climate-related risks across all asset classes. In addition, ESG solutions cover corporate and country ESG research and ratings enabling its clients to identify material social and environmental risks and opportunities.
ISS ESG Climate – Data scientist / Data engineer
ISS ESG immediately seeks a data scientist/engineer to join its Climate Research and Development as part of the ISS ESG Climate Solutions unit for a full-time position. The successful candidate will have a background in data science or data engineering and exhibit a passion for responsible investment business focusing on climate change data management and… analytics.
The successful candidate is ideally able to work on a wide array of problems related to data science and data engineering. The candidate ideally also has some experience creating and hosting dashboards, creating, and managing databases.
The successful candidate will support the team in collecting/mining and databasing internal and third-party data, building pipelines to standardize and store climate datasets, derive valuable insights from large data sets, and subsequently, product development. This includes interactions with colleagues and clients from around the globe and getting involved in several aspects of operations. The candidate should thus have a collaborative approach to work and proven abilities to proactively contribute to problem-solving and to work with great attention to detail in a fast-paced environment.
• Mine and database vast volumes of existing public data (for example, government public databases, satellite imaging, and other third-party sources)
• Identify and quantify patterns and trends in large datasets
• Build dashboards and apps to visualize ISS data and enable other team members to derive insights easily
• Create pipelines to standardize and repackage mined data into convenient formats to facilitate further analysis.
• Use the data mining insights and data to develop and improve climate-related products.
• Work closely with analysts to identify ways to support and augment their daily work with data-driven solutions.
• Support other data engineers in establishing smart crawlers to capture new ESG/Climate data in real-time.
• Experience – 1 to 3 years as a data scientist or data engineer.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science or any quantitative field or proven experience in data science.
• Proven experience with Python and standard libraries (Pandas, Matplotlib, NumPy)
• At least some experience with Unix systems and shell scripting
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to efficiently work with teams across different locations and time zones.
• Experience writing and publishing Data Science related blog posts is a plus.
• Excellent command of English; additional languages are an asset.
• Experience with relational databases is a plus
• Experience working with geospatial data (geoTiff, Shafiles, NetCDF) is a plus
• Experience deploying dashboards and apps (Streamlit, Dash, h2oWave) is a plus
• Experience with ML tools such as TensorFlow, Keras, PyTorch is a plus.
• Proven interest in the topic of climate change.
• Previous experience in GHG accounting or other climate-change-related topics is an advantage.