We are growing our world-class team of mission-driven, entrepreneurial Data Scientists who are passionate about broadening financial inclusion by untapping insights from non-traditional data. Be part of the team responsible for developing and enhancing Oportun’s core intellectual property used in scoring risk for underbanked consumers that lack a traditional credit bureau score. In this role you will be on the cutting edge working with large and diverse (i.e. data from dozens of sources including transactional, mobile, utility, and other financial services) alternative data sets and utilize machine learning and statistical modeling to build scores and strategies for managing risk, collection,take-up rates and fraud. You will also drive growth and optimize marketing spend across channels by leveraging alternative data to help predict which consumers would likely be interested in Oportun’s affordable, credit building loan product.
• Develop risk… profitability, fraud,and loss mitigation models used to provide affordable credit to serve those who are mis-scored by traditional credit bureaus, nearly half of Oportun’s customers’ do not have a valid FICO score
• Discover insights from a myriad of data sources to understand and influence consumer financial behavior
• Build data pipelines to prepare data for rapid learning in a scalable manner
• Design and build machine learning and data infrastructure by partnering with data and production engineering teams
• Develop new complex features to be used to build next generation of machine learning models by combining techniques and business acumen
• Partner with production engineering team to deploy models, strategies, verification methods
• Communicate and partner with third party data vendors
• Master’s degree or PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering or Economics or other quantitative discipline (Bachelors’ degree with significant relevant experience will be considered)
• 5+ years of coding experience using machine learning toolset within Python, SQL, Spark, SAS and/or Scala; 5+ years of experience leveraging machine learning techniques such as Gradient Boosting, Logistic Regression, and Decision Trees, among others
• 5+ years of experience in working on risk based marketing and digital analytics; Preferably in financial services industry
• 5+ years of experience hands-on experiences with data extraction, cleaning, analysis and visualization; experience with non-structural data is a plus
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• A relentless problem solver, out of the box thinker, and proven track record to drive business results in a timely manner
• Experience working with AWS or other cloud-based platforms
• Experience with HDFS, Hive, Shell script and other big data tools
• Comfortable in a high-growth, fast-paced, agile environment
• About Oportun
• Company Overview
• Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a financial services company and digital platform that provides responsible consumer credit to hardworking people in the United States. Using A.I.-driven models that are built on years of proprietary customer insights and billions of unique data points, we have extended millions of loans and billions of dollars in affordable credit to consumers, the majority of whom live in low-and moderate-income communities. Since about half of our new customers come to Oportun without a FICO score, we play a key role in the communities we serve by being able to offer them an affordable and credit-building alternative to payday and auto title lenders. In recognition of our responsibly designed products which help consumers build their credit history, Oportun has been certified as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) since 2009.
• With headquarters in California and a remote-first corporate culture, our 3,000+ team members work in Oportun locations and remotely throughout the United States, Mexico, and India. Our global operations include our Mexico contact centers and administrative offices, our India technology development center, and our US corporate, technology, and retail operations.
• We feel privileged to have been named a “Top Workplace” by the Bay Area News Group for three years running, one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the World for 2020 and recognized as a TIME Magazine 2018 Genius Company for our impact in helping to reinvent the future of lending. For the last three consecutive years, we have been titled Top Workplace by the Bay Area News Group.
With the launch of the OPRT Development Center (ODC) in India in December 2019, Oportun embraced a global approach to innovation. Our technology development center plays a critical role in developing and improving Oportun technology, analytics, and systems including technology for financial products, enhancing our customer experience and supporting our mobile servicing platform.
In India, ODC is essential building block of Oportun’ s technology-driven business which we aim to grow into the hub of technology and innovation for Oportun, furthering our mission-based, technology-powered approach to providing inclusive, affordable, and empowering financial services.
ODC is a Remote-First Organization and we allow our talents to work remotely anywhere in India. Our office location is Chennai, however we hire best talents across India
• WORKING AT OPORTUN
• Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization’s performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups and our Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Council.
• WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
• We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, caste, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
• We encourage you to apply for this position even if you do not match all the qualifications listed for this position. At Oportun, we will consider all experience on a candidate’s application, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
• We will also consider those with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of applicable laws in the locations where the role will be based such as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance when hiring for roles in locations with such laws.
• We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the application or interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to [email protected] . Please include your name and preferred method of contact in your email. Please also note that this email address is for requests for assistance only and not for the submission of applications or resumes, which will not be considered through this channel